LoLo's Loft

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Moving, Girls, Hospitals, & Other Chaos

Phew. I am not sure how I survived the weekend. It was crazy but I got so many unexpected gifts amongst the chaos.

A and I were supposed to meet our new landlord to finalize paperwork and give her our deposit so we could start moving in. We never heard from the landlord (turns out she was really sick and not in her office and didn't get any of my panic messages) so our moving was in limbo and incredibly frustrating. So by Friday we were all 3 bumbling around my place grumping at each other and periodically going, "Why haven't they called?" or "We just want to know one way or the other." and " I just can't believe they haven't called." And then we would continue grumping around.

Saturday A decided to go home since it did not look like moving was happening. I took my girl to her dance class and ran some errands. Every time my cell phone rang I did a secret landlord chant to ensure it would be my new landlord calling to tell me we could move in now. It wasn't. Finally I decided after picking up my girlie that I would drop a note by my landlord's brother's house (they own it together and I know him). So I did just that.

My little one had a play date (my smart thinking that if she had a friend over we'd get more moving done because she'd be having fun and maybe we'd even get them to throw some toys in a box or something...) but since we weren't really moving they played and I packed.

At some point I called A and didn't get him. I figured he was busy catching up on his work... Turns out he was deathly ill, well maybe not deathly, but really, really ill! And he hadn't even been able to get to the phone to call me because he was way too busy puking every five minutes. My poor love :( Right as he was about to vomit into the phone, I got an incoming call from the brother landlord! Omigod! I had to take it. So I got off with A and found out that landlord had an illness also but that they left a key in a hiding place and we could start moving in right away! Yea, good news finally!

So I called A back and realized (only after making him gag a number of times by stupidly asking him to give me his pork roast recipe! Duh.) that he was super sick and all alone and no one in his family lives near him and I should offer to go out there. Moments later I'm throwing my girl + friend into the car to drive 45 minutes to his place to buy him Gatorade and toilet paper (don't ask!). On the way I called his mom to let her know 1) Her son's super sick 2) They don't need to come out to help us move since we didn't really get anything ready like we'd hoped. She, being the super mom she is, told me I should try to get him to the Dr. I agreed but I had 2 girls in the car who wanted to have fun and it was already 7PM and the only place we could go was the Urgent Care Center which is like wait & wait & wait & maybe they'll finally see him. But being the loving GF that I am, I did just that. And I blasted Greenday & KidsBop in the car all the way there so the girls would think it was fun, sorta.

We picked up A, who just looked so sad and I wanted to have the magic to fix him and make him all better, and then the music was turned off because as much fun as I wanted the girls to have I also wanted my love to feel good (as good as possible as we bumped and curved and swayed all the way to the Urgent Care Center w/plastic barf bag handy just in case the bumps, curves, & sways prompted its use). The girls were great even though they hadn't eaten yet and they were bored stiff in the waiting room and I kept saying "shush, keep it down girls".

Turned out that A may have had an ulcer or some type of internal bleeding and they wanted him to have blood tests, but guess what. Just to make things more convenient, they couldn't do the test there until Monday and suggested we go to Emergency.

Off we go to Emergency, now 8:30PM and the girls are starving. But as a person who absolutely hates puking and will do all things possible to not puke, I understood that the smell of fast food in the car to the one of ill would not do wonders but instead prompt use of barf bag. No dinner for the munchkins yet.

It took some time to get in just to register and we heard whispers of 4 hour waits. I decided right there that that vending machine selection thru the crowd of sick & injured patients was looking like a pretty good appetizer for two starving 8 year olds.

A apologized so many times for being sick and thanked me just as many times. I actually kinda liked being there for him and was glad to be needed (although him not being sick would have been much nicer).

I finally decided I better leave him there to wait and take the girls to get some food. We drove who knows where to find the fast food part of town and settled on Jack-n-the-Box. I of course had no idea how I got there or how to get back. We kinda got off track until I asked some nice lady where the heck I was and how the heck to get back to the hospital. 1 ultimate cheeseburger, 2 happy & full girls, & 3 u-turns later, we made it back to the hospital. A broke the bad news that yes indeed it would be a 4-6 hour wait and that's where I became brilliant.

I said, "You know I will stay and wait with you if that's what needs to be done, but maybe we should do this instead: leave, pack up some things from your place, go to my house so the girls can play a little before bed and I can be there for you, then wake up first thing in the morning and go to the Methodist Hospital by my house that's so mellow you won't have to wait at all." I got a yes to that and off we went to my house.

Ah, 11PM & home at last. A in bed resting, girls watching Annie in their room, and no key to the new place or packing done! I don't care though because it just feels so good to have a happy kid & to be there for my man.

Sunday morning - we all wake up around 8AM and I call the Methodist Emergency room to find there's no wait at all & to come on down. So off we all go with bed-head and unbrushed teeth and no coffee!!!! to Emergency again. This time he goes right in. I take the girls down to the cafeteria for some breakfast goodies and coffee!!!!! and call A's parents with the update. They are on their way to the hospital to take over so I can get the girls home and maybe even get a few things moved. Then a blessing arrives in the name of my girl's friend's mom who wanted to pick them both up and take them to a harvest festival for the day. Haleluia! Haleluia!

In the meantime I've found out by tracking down the Emergency Dr. that A is not dying and he doesn't have an ulcer but just a virus and they'll give him fluids to get him rehydrated and then he can go home. Yea! And another Haleluia!

So I take the 2 kiddies to the new house, find the hide-a-key, let them run around and check it out, and then run back to my place to get them ready. Off they went to the festival and I sat down for the first time in what seemed like days.

Now what? I wondered as I was all alone staring at houseful of crap that needed to be packed and was not needed by anyone for a few hours. Ugh, I didn't know what to do with myself. I turned into a lump of mush and veged for about 15 minutes at least until I finally decided I better get some shit done! So I rushed around the house cleaning, packing, organizing. I called A's mom for updates, called A to check on him, and went on with all my busy work.

When the 3 of them came back from Emergency I had a small pile of packed boxes to take over to the new place. A went to sleep and me and his dear parents loaded their truck with my crap and moved it in. They left right after to get on the road.

I went back to check on A, my little one returned home, and it was time to make dinner. A's appetite finally returned slightly so we made dinner together (he didn't gag or puke once during dinner prep - good sign!) And we sat down to eat.. all 3 of us. Chaos over.

Phew!

1 Comments:

  • At 12:06 AM, Blogger Jennifer said…

    How exhausting but good to be in such a family mode. You are such a good mom and gfriend. I can't wait to see what life is like for you after the move!! Hopefully, I will see you more often. Moving sucks! Your LS blew us both off on Fri. BTW. LOL If she only knew that neither one of us was surprised.
    I can't believe all that happened in one weekend and that you didn't get sick either.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home